Sunday, August 14, 2011

License Plate Glyph

Hi blog friends! I'm Marlene from I Heart Teaching Elementary. I am excited to be joining Me and My Gang as part of the Third Grade Lounge. I love collaborating with other teachers and finding new ideas to use in my classroom. This will be my 9th year teaching and I've been in third for all of it. I really enjoy this age and can't imagine teaching any other grade.

For my first post, I'd like to share an activity I will be doing on Tuesday which is the first day of school. One of the activities I will be doing is a license plate glyph. I start off by reading the book Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes.



 It's a great book that teaches about not caring what others think and loving your name even if it's a little different. After I read it aloud and discuss the theme, the kids complete the license plate glyph. I got the glyph from Education World.  After they are all finished, we share them and I put them up on display. The license plate is in word so that it is able to be changed. So I provided the link to education world. Here is an example of the info you can include on yours.
                                                             Name Glyph Key

                                                        License Plate Template

7 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm so going to do this!! Welcome aboard!
    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read Chrysanthemum to my class. I can't wait to use this activity with them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea...I do a name glyph as a getting to know you activity but this is way cuter!

    ☮Monica
    The Schroeder Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you all like it! Thanks for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. useful information on topics that plenty are interested on for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your b!..customlicenseplates.info

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips