Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hi Everyone!

I so excited to be a part of this 3rd grade gang!  I cannot wait to share and learn from other amazing 3rd grade teachers!  My own blog is Ashleigh's Education Journey, and I just started it around February, but I really didn't get into it until the spring.  This will be my 9th year teaching, with four years in 4th and the past five year in 3rd.  I teach in a Title 1 school of about 600 kids, and there are five 3rd grade classes.  For the past 2 years, I have team taught with another teacher who teaches reading, writing, and language arts, and I teach math, social studies, and science.  I wasn't so sure about it at first, but I've really enjoyed teaming (probably because my partner is awesome)!  When I'm not working on school stuff, I am probably hanging out with my husband of 8 years or playing with my 2 year old daughter.

For my first official post, I wanted to share something that I've been working on lately.  I'm really big on teaching problem solving strategies in my classroom, because I feel that many students lack the strategies needed for problem solving.  I always incorporate problem solving into each of my units rather than teaching it as an isolated unit, but I always start the year teaching strategies.  I used to teach 7, but I've narrowed it down to my favorite 4.  I had some old posters that I used to hang up and then I would add key words and example problems around the posters (sort of like a math focus wall).  The summer I decided that they were looking a little dated, so I've made new ones.



Problem Solving Posters Link

If you're looking for a particular theme, you can leave me a comment on my blog, and I'll see what I can do!  I'm a huge clip art collector, and I love using it!


2 comments:

Blogging tips